KANEOHE, OAHU (HawaiiNewsNow)- Hawaiian Electric Company crews finished replacing a wooden pole and overhead lines that had been damaged by a fire near Windward Community College at around 1 a.m. Tuesday morning, restoring power to all customers who had been affected by the outage.
Initially, about 5,000 residential customers lost power. Service was restored to most of them in about 45 minutes, but 500 customers in the Hokulele and Crown Terrace subdivisions were without power while crews finished repairs.
When Martha Kaimana came home from work, she was frustrated when nothing turned on.
"I wasn't happy and then what am I going do and I'm looking all over the place for flashlights and batteries. Only my neighbors have a generator," said the Hokulele subdivision resident.
Many families in her neighborhood are turned to pizza deliveries or take-out food for dinner.